And then there was Blood. As we entered our new unit of inquiry thinking about Who We Are, the enthusiasm for storytelling had surfaced and could not be contained. Those who were originally hesitant to tell stories or share anything understood now that this was a safe environment to take risks, try new ideas and play, whilst telling stories and developing new language skills. During our first brainstorm about the unit, the concept of blood, injury, emergencies and hospital rose to the top of their interests and thus entered their play naturally. I took their lead and began listening to their stories. It started with real injuries and the boys arguing who was stronger and who have more courage. Everyone expressing loudly "I never cry!" and "I am the strongest!" and "Even if I broke my head I never cry." There were also stories of compassion. Stories about students taking care of their friends at outdoor learning or helping a younger sibling a...
Comments
Post a Comment